Can an implementation ``pre-qualify'' a standard type?

Norman Diamond diamond at jit533.swstokyo.dec.com
Tue Jun 11 13:47:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.232144.24618 at twinsun.com> eggert at twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) writes:
>Can a conforming Standard C implementation header ``pre-qualify'' a
>standard type by ``hardwiring'' a qualifier into its typedef?  E.g. can
><signal.h> behave as if
>	typedef volatile int sig_atomic_t;
>defines sig_atomic_t?  Rumor has it that at least one would-be
>conforming implementation does this to head off common programming errors.

The question is a bit ambiguous -- sometimes the implementation can
"behave as if" that were done, but sometimes it cannot.  I think only a
masochistic implementor would actually put "volatile" there in <signal.h>.

It is in a "constraints" section that a type qualifier may not appear more
than once for the same object, including indirect appearances via typedef.
So if a programmer were to say either
  volatile volatile int x;
or
  typedef volatile int t;
  volatile t x;
the implementation would be required to issue at least one diagnostic,
and can arbitrarily choose whether to do the right thing or not.

If <signal.h> actually contains the text
  typedef volatile int sig_atomic_t;
and then a programmer does
  #include <signal.h>
  volatile sig_atomic_t x;
then the programmer's code is legal.  The implementation is allowed to
be low-quality and issue spurious diagnostics, but it must do the right
thing with this code.

Now, you didn't say if <signal.h> actually says volatile, only that it
behaves as if volatile were there.  Again, for
  #include <signal.h>
  volatile sig_atomic_t x;
it can be low-quality and issue a spurious diagnostic, but it cannot
reject the code.  However, for
  #include <signal.h>
  sig_atomic_t y;
it can be high, low, or undecidable quality, behave as if y were declared
volatile, and do the right thing.  It is not entirely clear if this would
be an advantage or not.

An implementation can always make all objects behave in a volatile manner,
and the second half of the preceding paragraph would be a special case.
There's a slight difference between this and behaving as if the source
code contains the word "volatile," because of the rules on syntax and
"constraints" sections.

>Can <stddef.h> behave as if
>	typedef const unsigned size_t;
>defines size_t?

No.  A strictly conformant program is allowed to assign values to objects
of type size_t, and a conformant implementation must obey it.  Again, it
could issue a spurious diagnostic, but it still must obey.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.