Keyboard support in C (was Re: making characters disappear)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat Mar 2 09:34:15 AEST 1991

In article <14542 at ganymede.inmos.co.uk> conor at inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>Since all computers which support files almost certainly have a keyboard,
>it would seem sensible to provide for keyboard access within ANSI C.

No, this is another example of parochial thinking.  There are computers
with no keyboards as well as computers with lots of them.  Standard C
provides I/O facilities sufficient for many practical applications, but
if you've ever been involved in trying to specify terminal attribute
standards (I have), you would appreciate that no universal specification
for such things would be of acceptable technical quality.