Portability / C Language Implementation

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sun Mar 17 08:18:24 AEST 1991

In article <12374 at pt.cs.cmu.edu> hjelm at g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Mark Hjelm) writes:
>Since the world's not quite all a 32-bit workstation (formerly "Vax"),
>I would be interested in generating a list of the characteristics of
>other architectures as related to supporting C.  My interest is for
>writing portable programs and supporting distributed programs in
>heterogeneous computing environments.  I would like descriptions of
>various alternative architectures, as well as descriptions of how the
>C compilers deal with them.  Topics of interest include: ...

This is the wrong approach if you're truly interested in developing
portable C code.  Simply take it for granted that there are a wide
variety of computer architectures, and avoid relying on architecture.
The C standard spells out the constraints that must be followed by a
strictly conforming program; follow them carefully and you should
have no problems with the diversity of computer architectures.