Function Argument Evaluation

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed Mar 27 08:50:58 AEST 1991

In article <17882 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> volpe at camelback.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) writes:
-In article <15552 at smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
-|>In article <17809 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> volpe at camelback.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) writes:
-|>>Ok, but I believe that is true only because the behavior is undefined
-|>No; the order of evaluation in this example is explicitly UNSPECIFIED,
-Oh, by the way, Doug, I didn't say the order of evaluation was undefined.
-I said the behavior of the program itself was undefined (as Colin
-pointed out). And I'm not saying it's because of any unspecified order
-of evaluation. It's because the object referenced by p has its value
-modified more than once between sequence points. (Is this right?)

Sorry, but I cannot make sense out of your use of these terms.  They have
precise meanings in the context of the C standard, and they have an effect
of standard conformance, all explained in Section 1 of the ANSI C standard.

-Is it true that the behavior of the program is undefined (for the above
-reason)?

No, but the output depends on some unspecified aspects of the implementation.
I've already explained why, to the best of my ability.