wchar_t values

Erik M. van der Poel erik at srava.sra.co.jp
Sun Mar 31 14:55:45 AEST 1991

As several people have guessed, the real reason for bringing up the
wchar_t issue is because I am wondering how ISO 10646 can be used in
the C language. Personally, I think that we should use it as follows:

	C	ISO DIS 10646/4		wchar_t

	L'c'	032/032/032/099		000/000/000/099
	L'\t'	009/128/128/128		000/000/000/009

I think that this is the most reasonable way to do it since it seems
to conform to ANSI C. Of course, this wchar_t encoding does not
conform to 10646's processing code, but I do not think that this is
important. It is more important for the external code (files, network,
etc) to conform to 10646.

However, I don't really care what encoding we use for wchar_t, as long
as implementors who wish to use 10646 for wchar_t all agree on one
encoding. So we should create an international standard the specifies
how to use 10646 as a processing code in C. If this spec appears some
time after 10646 becomes an IS, implementors might do things
differently. So the spec should appear together with 10646. Perhaps in
a normative annex in 10646?
-
--
Erik M. van der Poel                                      erik at sra.co.jp
Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan     TEL +81-3-3234-2692