Keyboard support in C (was Re: making characters disappear)

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.UUCP
Sat Mar 2 16:54:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb23.170142.538 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>That is because it SHOULD be possible to do such very common things
>as non-echo reading or reading single characters without terminating
>carriage returns. We should be discussing how to put this into the
>next standardized version of the language. It SHOULD have been in the
>present version.

In the set of ANSI C libraries I wrote for the Alpha Micro, opening a
terminal in unbuffered mode returns single characters without waiting
for a carriage return.  I don't know whether UNIX libraries work this
way or not, but is there any reason they couldn't or shouldn't?  This
doesn't handle echo suppression, of course.  In any case, these things
seem more appropriate for POSIX than for ANSI C.
--
Ian Taylor               airs!ian at uunet.uu.net                uunet!airs!ian
>From a courtroom deposition quoted in the Boston Globe of February 18, 1991:
Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?
A: All my autopsies have been on dead people.