Function Argument Evaluation

Jonathan Gingerich jon at maui.cs.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 27 04:18:21 AEST 1991

In article <3461 at inews.intel.com> bhoughto at hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In article <1991Mar25.174542.24419 at cs.ucla.edu> jon at maui.cs.ucla.edu (Jonathan Gingerich) writes:
>>I understand perfectly well that *(p=&x) can be evaluated "after" p has been
>>assigned &y.  But does this affect the value of p=&x?  I.e. does "the value
>>of the left operand after the assignment" mean "immediately after" or
>>"sometime after, before the next sequence point"?
>
>[A full explanation of how different sequences of the same set of operations
> can lead to different results.]

Thanks Blair, (and everyone else contributing) I do appreciate the efforts you
are making on my behalf.  However, and I thought it was plain, I understand
your point perfectly well.  My question remains 'Does "the value
of the left operand after the assignment" mean "immediately after" or
"sometime after, before the next sequence point"?'
A second question is whether the expression (print statement) is defined to
begin with, which would render the above question meaningless, unless it
can be reconstructed with a volitile variable.  I had thought Doug was
claiming the statement was not undefined, but I may have misinterpreted
his posting.

Jon.