Frustrated trying to be portable

Ron Guilmette rfg at NCD.COM
Sun Mar 10 18:22:13 AEST 1991

In article <31204 at megaron.cs.arizona.edu> pab at cs.arizona.edu (Peter A. Bigot) writes:

>What we _really_ want then, is some convention to let us know what class of
>additional functions are provided in this particular implementation of a hosted
>compiler; e.g., __POSIX_STDC__ or some such.  _That_ I'd vote for; but it's a
>convention, not something that should be mandated by the language standard.

There are two important points I'd like to make here.

First, there are already conventions (or actually standards) estanblished
for the symbols that should get automatically defined in a true POSIX
environment.

Second, even if we consider the case that I was worried about (i.e. hosted
versus non-hosted) anything that might be done at this late date *must*
necessarily be only a "convention" (perhaps agreed upon my many many
implementors) because it is just too bloody late to change the ANSI C
standard.  (I for one would be satisfied with just a widespread convention
under which implementations would define __HOSTED_STDC__ if they qualified
as hosted implementations of ANSI C.)
--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg at ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg