Function Argument Evaluation

Jonathan Gingerich jon at maui.cs.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 26 03:45:42 AEST 1991

I once was on a TV high school quiz show.  A close friend was on the team too
but he was probably stoned that night.  Anyway, he was silent the whole night
until he hit the buzzer and announced "The Queen of England".  "No-o" said
the M.C., "the answer is 12 inches".

I understand perfectly well that *(p=&x) can be evaluated "after" p has been
assigned &y.  But does this affect the value of p=&x?  I.e. does "the value
of the left operand after the assignment" mean "immediately after" or
"sometime after, before the next sequence point"?

Jon.