POSIX, NFS, CPIO/TAR

Guy Harris guy at auspex.uucp
Tue Dec 19 08:19:45 AEST 1989

From: guy at auspex.uucp (Guy Harris)

 >>IEEE Std 1003.1 defines "group ID" and "user ID" to be NON-NEGATIVE
 >>integers in Section 2.3.  This is in conformance with existing practice
 >>that Sun gratuitously ignored in their NFS implementation.
 >
 >Hmmm.  This could, indeed, cause problems.
 >
 >Who's going to change?

All together now: "fixed in 4.1" (unless they've ripped the fix out
since I left).  SVID says it's an unsigned type, and SunOS 4.1 is
intended to be SVID-conformant, at least at the BA_OS and, I think,
KE_OS level.  If that causes problems with "tar" or "cpio" archives,
well, you can't make even a SVID-compliant omelet without breaking a few
eggs....