CPIO/TAR Standards

Mark H. Colburn mark at jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG
Thu Nov 23 01:41:29 AEST 1989

From: mark at jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn)

In article <430 at longway.TIC.COM> dsamperi at Citicorp.COM (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>Can somebody tell me where one can find the latest CPIO/TAR file
>archive standards documented? Will these standards actually be used
>for the "Open Systems" of the future, as defined by OSF, AT&T, POSIX,
>etc.?

The arhive format which was standardized by POSIX is in the IEEE Posix
1003.1 standard in Chapter 10.

As far as implementations supporting the standard, POSIX definitely will
since it is a part of the standard.  OSF, UI, etc. will support it if they
wish to be POSIX compliant.  If they don't wish to be POSIX compliant, they
are not bound (except by their customers) to support any standard at all.

I would be very suprised any Unix-like operating system which is released
in the next few years does not support the Posix standard.

--
Mark H. Colburn                       mark at Minnetech.MN.ORG
Open Systems Architects, Inc.