Standards Update, IEEE 1003.4: Real-time Extensions

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Wed Sep 26 02:44:28 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

In article <541 at usenix.ORG> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>In the filesystem abstraction, you open a filename in one stage. You
>can't do anything between initiating the open and finding out whether or
>not it succeeds. This just doesn't match reality, and it places a huge
>restriction on programs that want to do something else while they
>communicate.

Programs that want to do two things at once should use explicit parallelism,
e.g. some sort of threads facility.  In every case I've seen, this yielded
vastly superior code, with clearer structure and better error handling.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry