Snitches & Activity

Peter Salus peter at world.std.com
Fri Sep 14 01:10:34 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: peter at world.std.com (Peter Salus)

I didn't respond to jsq's poll.  Now that the results have been posted,
I'd like to make my position known.

(1) I didn't think the manner of polling was in any way
	appropriate.  On the one hand, many individuals
	concerned with IT standards don't get the news
	groups, on the other hand, many members of the
	various associations (USENIX, UniForum, IEEE,
	EUUG, etc.) don't care about standards reports.

(2) I thought the poll questions and methodology were
	slanted and unscientific.  The fact (noted in
	some comments) that there was no option for
	no response/don't care/don't know is part of
	this.  The regression to the mean in most
	designed the poll was.

(3) The paltry number of responses shows that even the
	majority of POSIX and X3 attendees didn't care
	about the questions.

(4) I like the snitch reports.  I don't think that either
	John Quarterman or Jeff Haemer does an adequate job
	where the postings and the articles in ;login: are
	concerned.  I would like to see the snitch reports
	reduced in size to no more than 4-6 pp. in a quarterly
	issue where POSIX is concerned; a page where 1201
	is concerned; a page on WG15; etc.  I think that if
	jsq & jsh are to do a job, it should be to filter
	the trash before it hits the printer.  Editing is
	more than merely spelling and punctuation and cute
	asides.

(5) I'd like to see more on the unmentioned ISO bodies:
	what's gone on at the recent meetings of JTAP,
	for example? [Joint Technical Committee on
	Application Portability].  They met in Copenhagen
	in February and should be meeting about now in Ottawa.

I think I need yet another newsletter about as much as I
need another of Dave Yost's wooden nickles.

--
The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.