Standards Update, IEEE 1003.4: Real-time Extensions

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Thu Sep 13 02:35:12 AEST 1990

From: chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg)

According to gumby at Cygnus.COM (David Vinayak Wallace):
>Is this `continued development by the creators of Unix' just going
>back to what Unix rejected 20 years ago?

They threw away what wouldn't fit.  Then they added features, but
piece by piece, and only as they observed a need.

This cycle has started again with Plan 9, which borrows heavily from
Unix -- almost everything lives in the filesystem -- but which is in
fact a brand new start.

Unix owes much to Multics, and we can learn from it, but we needn't be
driven by it.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>