Finding physical memory size

John G Dobnick jgd at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Tue Jan 1 14:08:13 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: jgd at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick)

This is perhaps a silly question, but since I haven't used this year's
quota of silliness yet... :-)

Our CONVEX system, which claims POSIX compliance, has a system call
that returns "system configuration" information.  If my memory serves
(I'd check, but the books are at work, and the machine is being "PM"ed),
the C-library function 'getsysinfo' retrieves this information.  Among
the items retrieved are

	System type
	Operating system type
	Operating system level (or version number)
	Processor type
	Processor serial number
	number of Processors (But, with multiple processors, shouldn't
			      we also get multiple serial numbers?  Hmmm.)
	Processor option mask (I believe this is an 'extension')
	Memory interleave factor (also an extension, I believe)

One item glaringly missing is the size of physical memory installed.
The writeup for the function claims it returns "system information", not
"CPU information".   In my book, a "system" includes processors AND
memory.

My question, to those of you who know what happened in the
standardization process is threefold:

	a) Was memory size even considered for inclusion in the
	   'getsysinfo' (or whatever it's really named) call.

	b) If is was considered, why was it not included.

	c) How does one interrogate the system, in a 'standard' way,
	   to determine physical memory size?   (My initial guess is
	   that the answer will be "You don't.")

Have a Happy New Year, folks!
--
John G Dobnick  (JGD2)
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire