qfork()

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Thu Jan 3 00:17:31 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)

In article <16370 at cs.utexas.edu> mason at tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) writes:
>The real requirement is presumably: ``Must not execute any code that
>changes MEMORY.'' As both the parent and child have their own register
>sets.  Now, expressing that in a high-level way that is portable may
>be quite a trick.  (Think of SPARC vs. 386 vs. HP/3000!)

Yes, that is the essence of the problem - there are CPUs out there
which have a very small number of CPU registers (perhaps only two
or three) available to the user.  As I recall, the TI 9900 has one
register which points to a location in memory where the rest of the
"registers" exist, and of course older HP CPU's have their own ideas
about where data is stored.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."