recent history of Unix evolution

Peter Salus peter at world.std.com
Thu Jan 31 01:29:14 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: peter at world.std.com (Peter Salus)

In article <17405 at cs.utexas.edu> Kevin.N.Broekhoven at QueensU.CA writes:
>Submitted-by: Kevin.N.Broekhoven at QueensU.CA
>
>I am writing a small article which touches on recent evolution in Unix
>standards, but can't seem to find some information that it would be nice to
>include.  I would appreciate it if some kind soul who is up on all of this
>could please shed a little light on this for me.

Much of what you ask is in Libes&Ressler, Life with UNIX,
Prentice Hall 1989.  For the stuff on Mach, I suggest the
Summer 1986 (Atlanta) USENIX Proceedings or the Proceedings
of the USENIX Mach Workshop last Autumn.  OSF was created in
May 1989; UI (in response) in August/September 1989.  There
are two OSF papers and a Mach paper in the USENIX Proceedings
for Dallas (last week).

The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.