qfork() (the spawn of Spawn())

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Jan 18 07:30:50 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva)

In article <17010 at cs.utexas.edu> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> Excuse me, but you're quite wrong.  P1003 decided deliberately that we
> (I was there) would not compromise the (1003.1) interface in order to
> accommodate "layered" implementations, for example on non-UNIX based
> operating system kernels.

I don't think I'm wrong here, unless you're leaving something out.

There's a difference between:

	P1003 will not compromise the interface to accomodate
	layered implementations.

And:

	P1003 is for UNIX only.

And I fail to see how an extension that happens to make it easier to
write portable programs that remain reasonably efficient on layered
implementations compromises the interface. Nobody's saying "get rid
of fork()" this time.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com