New moderator: speak now...

Peter Salus peter at world.std.com
Thu Mar 7 00:58:15 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: peter at world.std.com (Peter Salus)

In article <18289 at cs.utexas.edu> jsq at tic.com (John S. Quarterman) writes:
>Submitted-by: jsq at tic.com (John S. Quarterman)
>
>The first article in the newsgroup comp.std.unix (then known as mod.std.unix)
>was posted 25 June 1985.  Members of the IEEE P1003 standards committee
>(there was only one such committee back then) had requested that the new
>newsgroup be moderated to avoid the noise level seen on other newsgroups.
>To date there has been only one moderator, me.  However, I would like to
>thank all those who have served from time to time as guest moderators,
>particularly John B. Chambers and Fletcher Mattox.
>
>As noted in previous postings, I have decided to retire as moderator.

As someone who has read nearly every posting in this group since
early in 1986, I would like to publically and formally express
my gratitude and appreciation for all John has done, for the
standards and the UNIX communities.

John, we will miss you.

Peter
--
The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.