"long" options for POSIX utilities

Arnold Robbins arnold%audiofax.com at mathcs.emory.edu
Thu May 30 06:28:51 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: arnold%audiofax.com at mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold Robbins)

In article <1991May28.072936.26439 at uunet.uu.net> randall at Virginia.EDU (Randall Atkinson) writes:
>  The above is the first I've heard of such a thing.  The most
>recently reviewed drafts of POSIX.2 and POSIX.2a, which cover the
>Shell & Utilities area, don't seem to mention any such things.

I can pretty safely say that .2 isn't doing anything like adding gnu-like
long options.  I doubt .2a is either.  The whole thrust of the POSIX effort
is (supposed to be) to standardize existing practice.  So far .1 and .2 have
done OK at it.  E.g., dd retains its current, er, *unusual* command line
syntax. :-)
--
Arnold Robbins				 AudioFAX, Inc. | Threads are the
2000 Powers Ferry Road, Suite 200 / Marietta, GA. 30067 | lack of an idea.