long options

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed May 29 00:54:23 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva)

> I recently heard that future POSIX standards will document `long options'
> similar to those used in the GNU file utilities.

> (3) What about tools that do not use getopt (like pg, chmod, tar and so on)?

How does getopt support long options? I would think that standardising on long
options would pretty much require a more sophisticated parser, such as Eric
Allman's "parseargs".
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

[ The GNU getopt supports long options, via +long_option_name, I believe.
  It qualifies as existing practice, I suppose. --mod ]