UNIX size

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.uucp
Thu Feb 7 16:55:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb3.050750.13128 at ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
>In article <1478 at das13.snide.com> dave at das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:
>>In article <4623 at apricot17.UUCP>, renkel at motcid.UUCP (Will Renkel) writes:
>>> I noticed most pgms in UNIX are NOT stripped of the symbol table.
>>> Does anyone know about how much space these un-necessary symbol tables take up
>>> Can they be stripped without any problems?

The biggest is that most of the programs are nicely packed on the disk from
when you did the installation. When you strip everything, it will scatter
them all over the disk. Actually, sort of. On an idle machine it will tend
to thrash them around in the same area of the disk due to the fact that UNIX
puts most recently freeed block at the beginning of the free list.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:785-1110; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!