Single user mode

John R. MacMillan john at chance.UUCP
Mon May 6 10:23:52 AEST 1991

|When I use "/etc/shutdown" I get the message telling me to press RETURN
|to reboot. I'd like the system to go into single user mode instead.
|(With a shell). Then, "init 2" could be used to start the system back up.
|
|Who/what is detecting the transition into single user mode and displaying
|that message? And how can it be changed?

That's coming from /etc/profile.  When /etc/shutdown does the "init s",
a shell ends up running that runs /etc/profile.  If the run level is
"S", profile completes the shutdown (in a somewhat half-assed manner,
IMHO; it kills things before running scripts in /etc/shutdaemon that
might have shut them down cleanly).