TCP/IP aaarrrgh

bsteve at gorgo.UUCP bsteve at gorgo.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 01:25:00 AEST 1987

>Here at NYU we have about 40 3b2's which we would like to network with
>other existing computers, using TCP/IP.  We have found however, that although
>TCP/IP WIN works (more or less) under sysV 2.0, it crashes a sysV 3.0 system.
>We could stick with 2.0, but then the Fortran compiler wont work.

There are two possible fixes... There is a new release of TCP/IP that should
be out now or coming out very soon that runs under release 3. It was totally
rewritten using SVR3 streams, and is a much better (faster) implementation.
There is also a version of the fortran compiler that will run on release 2
machines (actually there are 2). The first is the traditional UNIX F77
compiler which does not support the FPA on the 3B2 (if that is important to
you), the second is Command Fortran, which is a portable compiler that
generates C as intermediate code. I have not used the Command Fortran compiler,
but can vouch for quality and portability of other of their language products.

   Hope this helps,

     Steve Blasingame
     bsteve at eris.berkeley.edu
     ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!bsteve