SAT Practice Software Recommendations?

mel1 at houxa.UUCP mel1 at houxa.UUCP
Sun Mar 15 02:33:08 AEST 1987

I put a similar request out about a year ago and got only negative
replys (about 8).  All were variations on the theme that much cheaper
printed material was much better.

Not being one to follow advice, I went ahead and bought Barron's SAT
for the PC (also available for the Apple II).  It is a well setup
program and on the surface has all one would want in such a program.
Easy to use, lots of explinations, drill with good reviews and help
on errors, practice quizes, etc.

However, the kids won't touch it past the first few minutes (and I
mean just minutes).  We have had the thing readily available for
several months, and constantly try different strategies to get the
kids to try it, but they don't. We have some of the printed
preparation material, too.  Now our HS junior is scheduled for the
April test (she took the PSAT and didn't do too well considering her
grades), and has done no drill.  Our oldest, a senior, didn't do any
preparation either (but did well on the exams).  The next two, HS
freshmen, probably won't prepare either.

The SAT program may be good for a kid motivated to get good scores,
but probably such a kid would probably do just as well with the
books.  Having the material on the PC didn't help get the kids
interested in preparing for the SAT.

   Mel Haas  ,  odyssey!mel