Signal: EMT instruction

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Mon Feb 29 11:17:05 AEST 1988

In article <278 at mancol.UUCP> samperi at mancol.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>Can someone explain what an EMT instruction signal means? I'm getting
>this signal when I try to run a program on a 3b2/400. The program runs
>fine on other machines. The signal occurs in a sscanf() call, so sdb
>does not resolve the problem. Thanks.

Sdb is just a tool; it doesn't resolve problems.  Since you didn't
tell us enough about what sdb turned up, how can we help you?  My
guess is that you forgot that sscanf() needs pointers to the variables
to receive the data, not the contents of the variables.

EMT was a PDP-11 instruction; SIGEMT should not turn up under normal
circumstances.  I suppose it is possible that you built your 3B2
program for hardware containing the MAU but are trying to run it on a
3B2 without a MAU.  Otherwise, you've probably just corrupted your
process's instructions somehow, probably by overwriting them via bad
use of pointers.