Using 'exit' in a Bourne shell script

Ted H. Emigh emigh at ncsugn.ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 5 00:45:31 AEST 1988

In article <144 at flnexus.ATT.COM> heff at flnexus.ATT.COM (Paul K Heffner) writes:
> In article <169 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>> I would like to have my users logout via a shell script "off" rather
>> than with ^d.

>The command:

>stty 0

>sets your baud rate to zero, forces a hangup which causes SIGHUP to
>be sent to all correspondent processes thereby 86'ing them. This
>has been used with nominal success in some of the 'bye' routines
>on our systems here.

Of course, this will only work if you want them to be disconnected, rather
than merely logout.  In particular, if you have people using su, they may
not want to be disconnected.

--
Ted H. Emigh, Dept. Genetics and Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:	mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh	internet:  emigh%ncsugn.ncsu.edu