3b1 TeX (available via anonymous FTP)

Edward L. Hepler elh at vu-vlsi.UUCP
Wed Feb 17 07:31:53 AEST 1988

In article <11 at mozart.UUCP>, rosalia at mozart.UUCP (Mark Galassi) writes:
> In article <564 at naucse.UUCP> jdc at naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:
> >Yes TeX lives on 3b1s!  Dr. Edward L. Hepler did a port and offered
> I got the package from Ed, and I am willing to make it available via
> anonymous ftp from "noether.sunysb.edu".  Before I do that, I need to
> In passing:  the TeX port works nicely, the previewer is a bit
> strange though.  Probably because it tries to fit things on the
> monitor which has a funny resolution, and it also tries to match
> up fonts with the UNIX PC fonts.
> --
> 						Mark Galassi
No, the previewer does not use the UNIX PC fonts.  There are fonts which
have been generated using metafont for the UNIX PC previewer package.  The
base for the metafont generation was calculated from the 3b1 monitor specs. Some
of those look strange (compared to what they will look like coming from a
laser printer) due to the low bit density (bit pitch) of the 3b1 monitor.
It does substitute in a font of a different size if the required font size
is not present on the system....

Ed Hepler
elh at vu-vlsi