Major security problem in the UA: looking for a real fix

Bergstedt rich at bergy.UUCP
Sat Feb 6 10:28:25 AEST 1988

In article <2017 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In article <1023 at woton.UUCP> riddle at woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:
> >[And can anyone out there tell me what on earth the developers of the
> >UNIX PC were thinking of when they created this misfeature?
>
> The UNIX PC was supposed to be a personal computer (i.e. a computer
> owned and operated by an individual for the individual's own use)
> running UNIX.  The lack of strenuous security is in keeping with
> this philosophy.

I don't think that this is a valid statement.  A UNIX system is always
going to be able  to be accessed from remote terminals and this was
a capability even with the original .5 MB Memory/10MB hard disk systems.
I do believe that the original o.s. developers never expected the
system to be as thoroughly analyzed as it is now.

I believe the philosophy was to shelter UNIX $ access for naive users
and make this system easy-to-use and administer.  The intended user
would never have known what was going on underneath the windows.
The fire sale has changed all of this and opened up the O.S. to
many of you who would never have even seen it without the low low
prices.

PLEASE NOTE THE DISCLAIMER - THESE ARE MY OPINIONS AND NOT THOSE
			     OF MY EMPLOYER.

|	Rich Bergstedt				AT&T Data Systems Group       |
|       voice: 714-855-5570			23421 S. Pointe Dr. #100      |
|	fax:   714-855-5690			Laguna Hills, CA 92653        |
|       uucp:  ...uunet!ccicpg!arnold!bergy!rich  -or- attmail!rbergstedt     |
|       DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions, definitely not AT&T's.             |