news on a 3B1

Ken Brassler ken at maxepr.UUCP
Fri Feb 19 09:55:50 AEST 1988

In article <576 at eplrx7.UUCP> lad at eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) writes:
>I am trying to install Bnews 2.11 on my ATT 3B1.
>....  However,  when the makefile tried to link
>up readnews,  the file ftime.o was flagged as having and unreferenced
>variable,  namely 'daylight'.
>
>Has anyone ever run up against this before?

Yes.

This is the fix that I used, but I can't find the original article
that suggested it. It seems to work.

Put a copy of the shlib.ifile in the ...news/src directory. Edit
this local copy and add the line:

daylight = 0x303658

Change the Makefile to reference this local copy of shlib.ifile, and
re-make.

Obviously, 0x303658 is supposed to be the address where the
"daylight" variable is stored. I have no first hand knowledge that
this is true - I just took the first person's word for it. I'm
running version 3.50 O/S, and my news has been operating with
this fix for over 2 years.
--

Ken Brassler {ihnp4|qantel|pyramid|lll-crg}!pacbell!maxepr!ken