answer to starlan

mark hilliard mark at gizzmo.UUCP
Sun Feb 28 01:41:29 AEST 1988

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions on Starlan, but especially
Andy Perch and Mike  at codas.

Ok, yes there is life after Starlan!  Most everyone flatly stated that you
MUST use one of the ATT terminal emulators to make use of remote logins from
a dos machine on starlan, and I was pretty frustrated over this. Andy Perch
sent me a note telling me that kermit version 2.3 (NEW!!) has netbios support.
I downloaded it from kodak, installed it and set port net. It came up working
the first time with no problems, so for those of you who want cheep remote
workstations on a starlan net, I highly recommend this route!  Mike at codas
has been advertising Starlan utilities over the net for some time now.  I
gave him a call and he IMMEDIATLY sent me a set of shared utilities
that support several 3b1's or 3b2's on a network.  There was one utility
that would support a dos and unix machine on a network, but the whole package
is aimed at unix machines. (thanks Mike)

--
                                                {mhuxu,u1100a}-----\