NO SPACE Error message

Russ Spence russ at llama.rtech.UUCP
Sun Feb 21 19:37:15 AEST 1988

In article <225 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>Last night in lab, I had about 12 users compiling small C programs --
>maybe 30 lines each --, and I started to get "no space on disk 0
>partition 0" messages.  A fast df -t revealed that I had 0 blocks left
>in /, but another df -t some 10 seconds later showed that 350-450 blocks
>remained.
>
>I don't understand where in / these blocks are being used, and why --
>allof a sudden, / is crowded.  (My system has 3 file systems: /, /usr,
>and /usr2.)  I'm guessing that things are happening in /tmp, right?
>Should I move the tmp directory to another files system?  Is it possible
>to do that?  Or is my partition 0 just "fragmented" so that an 'fsck'
>will take care of things?

	/tmp is used by the compiler to store temporary files.  When
	compiling a very large file (or many small files) you run out
	of space on / because of the amount of space used in /tmp for
	C compilations.  You should probably increase the size of
	/ (or move /tmp to another file system, or its own file system).
	Unfortunately, this is usually a painful process on a 3B.  You
	have to boot from floppy, it trashes the disks and you have to
	recover from floppy or cartridge backups, etc.  Fixing a similar
	problem on my old 3B2/400 (increasing swap space in order to run
	INGRES) took about 4 hours of real time.
--
Russell Spence    Relational Technology Inc.   {sun,mtxinu,ihnp4}!rtech!russ

Then you'll... never hear... surf music... again.