origin of unix-pc discussion

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Thu Feb 4 04:04:09 AEST 1988

  I do NOT claim to have started the whole meta-discussion about unix-pc.*
and comp.sys.att.  Actually my idea was to try to SEPARATE the unix.pc
messages along with any 6300 series messages into a NEW newsgroup called
comp.sys.att.pc  ( != comp.sys.att).  It would be funny if it hadn't ended
up backfiring into MORE unix-pc stuff going into comp.sys.att via the
(proposed ? existing already ?) gateway.  I have seen many postings which
ignored the implicit creation of the new newsgroup and debated the merits
of " mv unix_pc.* comp.sys.att" which wasn't my idea.  There have been
very intelligent postings as well so please spare the flames.
3B (not 3B1 !) folks.  I have gotten bounced mail on previous attempts to
subscribe and so am frustrated.  The smaller AT&T machines are fine and I
agree that the net support is really helpful, but my own interest lies
elsewhere and certainly there is enough at&t pc traffic to merit its own
group.  I applaud the efforts of the fellow talking about the gateway,
despite the negative impacts on my own net reading.  I still don't understand
the antagonism of the vocal "anti- USENET" people.  My site does NOT carry
every newsgroup NOR is there any USENET requirement to do same.
  Anyway, perhaps I'll manage to get on the AT&T minicomputer mailing list
and the unix-pc folks will resolve their issues amicably.
  Have a nice day.  :-)

	rja at edison.GE.COM  {preferred}
        rja%edison at virginia.BITNET  {if you must, no guarantees}
        {virginia, calma, unipress} !edison!rja