Mailing list announcement

Kathy Vincent kathy at bakerst.UUCP
Tue Feb 2 23:51:11 AEST 1988

In article <406 at zorch.UU.NET> scott at zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>In article <1061 at bakerst.UUCP> kathy at bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:
>>sending news as mail to people who couldn't otherwise get directly
>>connected ...   In other words, that's always been a possibility.
>
>Of course it has been possible.  I'm doing it, aren't I?  *You* never
>mentioned, even though you were obviously aware of it.

Now wait - let's keep this civil.

I may not have mentioned it - lately - in public - I don't routinely
tell and retell everything I know on the public net, after all.
But I believe the information is included in the standard usenet
documentation.  I realize not everyone reads all the standard
usenet documentation.

Mostly, I spend my time trying to arrange direct feeds, not mail routes,
for people who say they'd like to get the unix-pc.* groups.  I have
suggested the mail method - and used it myself - when a direct feed
was not available, which hasn't been very often.

>2)  A gateway is *automatic*.  It puts no requirements on posters to make
>intelligent choices.  And it has been shown time and again through the
>experience of the Usenet that posters by and large *don't* make intelligent
>choices;

Well, now that you've insulted *everyone* indiscriminately ...  :-)

Thanks for the other info about gatewaying though - you and
Arnold at skeeve, who email'd me a very nice and clear elaboration.
I believe you were also the first to point out the problems of
cross-posting - thanks for that, too - and yes, I can see the
problem - altho I'll add that since there are a lot of people who
carry both groups, they may still very well reach more UNIX pc owners
than one group does by itself.

So let me ask you another question - just out of curiosity:  Are you
also planning to gateway UNIX pc articles back from comp.sys.att to the
unix-pc net?  For the benefit of the people who get the unix-pc groups
don't get comp.sys.att and have no access to Usenet at large?
Including, e.g., responses to unix-pc.* postings that you're gatewaying
into comp.sys.att?

Wasn't it a 3B2 owner who started this???!

Kathy Vincent ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy