Has anyone gotten a Trailblazer working on tty000 (UNIXPC)

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Mon Feb 8 14:28:01 AEST 1988

In article <2772 at oxtrap.UUCP>, rich at oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
> >(I've got the stock uucp in the machine since I
> >haven't gone to the trouble of setting up HDB yet).
>
> Hey Wait!
>
> You aren't at&t!
>
> Where'd you get HDB?  I want one too!

<<Perhaps, the "trouble of setting up HDB yet", the getting HDB in
the first place, to set up :-) >>

Hi,

I just got in a Telebit Trailblazer Plus to experiment with.  I
have been using a "regular" Trailblazer for the last several months
on my 3b1.  The plus seems like a very nice unit.  The circuitry is
more highly integrated, thus power consumption is cut, obviating
the need for a fan.  The RF-proofing is also better on the plus.
All in all, the Plus should be an even more reliable unit.

I've yet to get a chance to try the additional features of the 4.0
firmware.  Most interesting is the additon of a low speed reverse
channel that is supposed to get rid of the need to ping-pong the
connection when you're using the TB Plus for dial-up data entry,
packet ACKs, etc.  One of the other sites in the area is supposed
to be getting a 4.0 version soon (I hope).

Today's SYSLOG entries at my machine, impulse, show that it was
getting about 900 - 950 char/sec on messages between 2000 and 4000
char.  I didn't have any long traffic today.  That is quite a bit
better than previous figures.  I plan to investigate the Plus more
rigorously next week.

I'm planning to  pit the Plus against a Microcom 9624AX, US
Robotics, and Racal.  Of the four modems above, the construction
quality is best in the Plus.  The Microcom is second, with the USR
a close third.  The Racal has quite a few fix-up jumpers inside.
Of the four, the Plus is the only modem not using the Rockwell
chipset for 0-2400 baud; Telebit uses an AMD "Worldchip".

--Bill