Gnu Emacs 18.4[69] on a 3B2 running 3.1

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Mon Feb 29 15:02:03 AEST 1988

In article <789 at wucs2.UUCP> dwex at wuccrc.UUCP (David Wexelblat) writes:
>Also, when logged in remotely over StarLan, emacs does not work at all.
>It starts up, but does not draw the initial screen or the modeline.  It
>writes '(mark set)' where the minibuffer should be.  If any keys are pressed,
>the terminal (a Unix-PC) starts beeping like mad.  If I am lucky, it will
>respond to ^X-^C and go away.

Starlan is a "streams" device which returns -1 to a read() when O_NDELAY is
set and no data is present (even though a tty emulation module is pushed??).
GNU expects (perhaps rightly) that a read() with no data will return 0 and
always uses the value as the count of characters.  Adding a check for negative
values from read() in keyboard.c will fix it.

                      ...ihnp4!chinet!les