SF Bay Area Users' Groups & March 1988 Meeting

thad at cup.portal.com thad at cup.portal.com
Fri Feb 26 20:17:35 AEST 1988

The response to my posting describing the existence of several sanctioned
AT&T Users' Groups in the San Francisco Bay Area has been overwhelming.
Upon returning, I found an overflowing mailbox

Though wishing to personally answer everyone's mail, I literally haven't
the time to do so.  This net posting is the ONLY way to adequately answer
the letters regarding the Users' Groups and other related topics.

First, who am I?  I am Thad Floryan.  I am neither an employee of nor
directly affiliated with AT&T.  I own 25 shares of AT&T common stock, one
of my company's products is listed in the AT&T software catalog, and I am
a member (not an officer) of the Silicon Valley AT&T Users' Group.  Of the
several computers I own, one is a 3B1 (aka 7300, aka UNIX-PC).  I do not own
a 6300, 6300+, 6310, 6312 or 6386; please address specific questions about
those systems to the net or, ideally, ask them at the Users' Group meetings.

Regarding the accelerator board for the 6300 I mentioned, the unit shown was
the Mothercard 5.0 80286 by SOTA Technology, Inc. (657 N.Pastoria Ave.;
Sunnyvale, CA 94086; 408/245-3366), and demonstrated by Bruce McKenzie of
SOTA.   Bill Todd (of PC^3; 1920 North Star Place; San Jose CA 95131;
408/263-8925) specializes in additional upgrades to the PC6300.  Both
gentlemen spoke at recent Users' Group meetings.

USERS' GROUP MEETINGS

1. General

   The Bay Area AT&T Users' Group meets the first Wednesday of each month,
   alternating between San Francisco and Oakland. The even-numbered months'
   meetings are hosted in San Francisco.  San Francisco meetings are held
   at AT&T, 795 Folsom Street, across from Moscone Center in San Francisco.
   Oakland meetings are held at AT&T, 1000 Broadway at 11th Street, near
   Oakland City Center.

   The Silicon Valley AT&T Users' Group meets the second Wednesday of each
   month in Sunnyvale at AT&T, 1090 E. Duane Avenue, Sunnyvale.

2. Meeting Notices

   BAY AREA AT&T USERS' GROUP

	when:	Wednesday, March 2, 1988, 6:30PM PST

	where:	AT&T, 1000 Broadway at 11th Street in Oakland, near Oakland
		City Center/12th Street BART station.  There is usually
		plenty of street parking available.  Do NOT park in the 1000
		Broadway garage or City Center garage -- both will be closed
		before the meeting is over.

	agenda:	6:30PM	Special Interest Groups (new users, intermediate and
			advanced DOS, UNIX, etc.).  Informal discussion and
			refreshments.  Swap session.
		7:00PM	Convene, group business.  Committee reports,
			announcements, technical Q&A session [AT&T staff]
		8:00PM	SAMNA WORD IV demo  [Samna Corp.]
		9:30PM	Adjourn (out by 10:00PM)

   SILICON VALLEY AT&T USERS' GROUP

	when:	Wednesday, March 9, 1988, 6:30PM PST

	where:	AT&T, 1090 E. Duane Avenue, Sunnyvale CA
		Off Highway 101, take Lawrence Expressway heading SOUTH and
		turn RIGHT onto Duane Avenue.  Drive STRAIGHT onto AT&T
		property (note that Duane curves to the right), and drive
		around the perimeter road to the main entrance.

	agenda:	6:30PM	Special Interest Groups.  Informal discussion and
			refreshments.  Swap session.

		7:15PM	Meeting called to order.  New Board of Directors
			introduced.  Announcements.

		7:30PM	Technical Q&A session  [AT&T staff]

		8:30PM	Additional new business.

		9:30PM	Adjourn (out by 10:00PM)

3. Special Interest Groups

   Everyone with an interest about AT&T computers is welcome!  ALL interests
   will be served by the groups and by AT&T personnel.  The meetings are
   for all systems: DOS, UNIX, XENIX.  I'd like to start a UNIX-PC SIG in the
   Silicon Valley Group, so come on over!

4. Newletters

   The present monthly newsletter comprises 16 pages.  With YOUR input it
   will grow.

5. Public Domain Library

   A growing collection of utilities and other useful programs are available
   FREE to members in exchange for preformatted disks.  At present the library
   comprises DOS disks, but I've started a collection for the UNIX-PC.

6. BBS Service

   Several members are operating BBS systems catering to Users' Group members.
   Additional coverage is expected for the Silicon Valley area.

7. Whom to Contact

	Bay Area AT&T Users' Group
	P. O. Box 410321
	San Francisco  CA  94141-0321

	AT&T Users' Group Liaison
	Jim Keeton   415/442-2692

	AT&T Public Relations
	Mark Dill    408/995-3966

8. Miscellaneous

   The Silicon Valley group has just formed and hasn't an official mailing
   address yet; Mark Dill has been answering telephone inquiries.

   Mark's plan is to form  AT&T Users' Groups across the nation.  Call him
   (408/995-3966) for more details.  I'm willing to relay messages to/from
   him until he gets an account with USENET access.