Major security problem in the UA: looking for a real fix

Brett Slocum slocum at hi-csc.UUCP
Fri Feb 5 01:39:00 AEST 1988

In article <2017 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <1023 at woton.UUCP> riddle at woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:
>>There is a security hole in the UA which you could throw a Cray
>>through....
>>[And can anyone out there tell me what on earth the developers of the
>>UNIX PC were thinking of when they created this misfeature?
>
>The UNIX PC was supposed to be a personal computer (i.e. a computer
>owned and operated by an individual for the individual's own use)
>running UNIX.  The lack of strenuous security is in keeping with
>this philosophy.

In the literature I saw, the Unix PC was being touted as being able
to handle up to 5 users.  It was presented as a multi-user business
machine.  The Installation documents ask from the very start whether
this machine was going to be used by multiple users.  So I disagree
with your statement that the Unix PC was for a single user.

--
--Brett Slocum  "Never bet with a Sicilian where Death is involved."
UUCP: ...uunet!hi-csc!slocum
Arpa: hi-csc!slocum at umn-cs.arpa
UUCP: ...ihnp4!umn-cs!hi-csc!slocum (descending order of speed, I think)