NO SPACE Error message

Eric Woodsworth ejw at sask.UUCP
Mon Feb 29 08:35:32 AEST 1988

> Last night in lab, I had about 12 users compiling small C programs --
> maybe 30 lines each --, and I started to get "no space on disk 0
> partition 0" messages.  A fast df -t revealed that I had 0 blocks left
> in /, but another df -t some 10 seconds later showed that 350-450 blocks
> remained.
> Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh

We get the same behaviour on /dev/root when we are running a lot of pipes,
since root is being used on our system for temporary pipe storage.  You can
change the filesystem used for this, but this is pointless if your bootup
procedure uses pipes.

I suggest that if the free space on /dev/root is insufficient, expand the
filesystem or delete some files to free up space.

--
-------
Eric Woodsworth / Canadian Wildlife Service / Saskatoon / Canada