HELP!!! (3B2/310 and Hayes Modem)

Gregg Houck SysOp gah at blft1.UUCP
Mon Feb 8 14:12:16 AEST 1988

Hi Netlanders,

 I try and think of myself as pretty good at handeling UNIX
communications.  My experence has been with SYS V.1 and .2
with a little BSD thrown in.  I have setup I'd say, 20 to 25
UNIX based systems all with uucp and remote dialup's..

 Now.  I am trying to get a simple little hayes modem to work
on a 3B2/310 using SYS V.3 ..  I said to myself, ok simple and
tryed to set it up.  BOOM!!!  I thought I had checked everything,
and as far as I can tell IT SHOULD WORK!!!  Here is the problem.
Trying to send mail to another System then 3b2 dials the other
site ok, the modem detects the carrier, speaker goes silent and
the rd light on the modem flashes (Login prompt from other system)..
At this point rd stops and sd never starts.  The system I am calling
has a working autobaud setup.  She sits there on-line waiting several
minutes then sd flashes with a return flash on rd and nothing else.
This happens once more then either the remote or the 3b2 disconnects.
The 3b2 log says TIMEOUT LOGIN, then FAILED call to cl504 etc.....

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance..

Gregg Houck  :  ..psuvax1!blft1!gah        |    NITTANY LION COUNTRY
ComputerLand of State College PA           |       GOoooo LIONS!
(814)-355-9163 Home - (814)-237-9000 Work  |         WE'RE #1