8char function names from hell

eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Sun Feb 7 06:22:30 AEST 1988

Just tried to compile some stuff I got from a friend.  Low and
behold, the unix-pc C compiler doesn't go past 8 characters in
either a function or a varible name!

What's da dang deal?  For some strange reason I thought that maybe,
just maybe, C compilers within USG and/or sysV would be a little
more compatible than this.

An 8 character limit?  What is this, a step back towards 2 character
varible names like in BASIC?

Ranting over.. Seriously, though.. Is there any way to get around this?
Any kludges, or preprocessors, or anything?
--
"Occult symbols include ... the 'peace' symbol and the Jewish 'Star of David'"
   -- From the Back In Control Handbook