DOS Tasks under Unix: Let's hear about it!

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Fri May 20 13:17:35 AEST 1988

>First a  little background -- VP/ix provides  a virtual IBM PC
>with floppy drives, a C: and D: hard drive, and the Unix file
>system as a NETBIOS network shared drive.  You have a video
>adaptor -- either whatever is on your console if you run on the console,
>or a Monochrome adaptor card if you run it from a serial port.
>Virtual DOS devices can be mapped to unix files/devices via a
>config file.

Can anyone say how much of a Netbios interface is presented by VP/ix?
In limited testing I have found that 2 Dos versions of kermit 2.30
(which can talk across a real netbios network) cannot connect to
each other under VP/ix.  More surprising, Microsoft word and chart,
which know how to release print jobs on a real network, do not do so under
VP/ix.  You have to pop up the control menu and manually force the
print jobs to be passed to the unix spooler.  Perhaps I missed something
in the setup?

  Les Mikesell