dead battery PC7300

James E. Prior jep at oink.UUCP
Fri May 20 03:04:47 AEST 1988

In article <EWYPQyy00jd=B9c0S6 at andrew.cmu.edu> mm5e+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Molloy) writes:
>I have a dead battery in my PC 7300 but I cannot figure out how to open up the
>machine
>to get at the battery.  I know it is somehow hinged, but I don't have any
>documents and have
>not figured out the secret.
>
>Any help????
>
>Thanks in advance  (mkm at k.gp.cs.cmu.edu)

Aside from the obvious screws whose heads are exposed, there are two screws
hidden under little pop-out pieces of plastic that are in the middle of each
of the things on the case top that the keyboard snaps into.

There are also four little ramps or catches on the inside of the very front
of the plastic case.  You do NOT need to use tools other than your fingers
to gently pry the front of the case away from the metal faraday cage.

The plastic case top lifts STRAIGHT up.  When it is free, lay it back, as if
it was hinged at the rear.  When you disconnect the power connections, make
sure that you label where they came from.  Note where the tie-wraps for the
video cable go.  Pull the video cable out of the main unit by pulling on the
connector body itself, NOT THE WIRES!

A note in general, you don't need to force anything.  If something is binding,
you are doing something wrong.  Cool off and try again.  I've seen AT&T's
technicians struggle with these beasts.  Just take it easy.  If it seems
awkward, that's because it is.

Once you have the machine apart, file the cursed plastic latches off of the
inside of the front of the case.  It makes life so much easier.
--
Jim Prior    {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!oink!jep    jep at oink.UUCP

Pointers are my friend.