A bunch of questions about UUCP on the Unix PC

Darren Friedlein darren at bacchus
Tue May 17 11:33:11 AEST 1988

In article <3400 at pitt.UUCP> you write:
>In article <728 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
>>I'm setting up a UNIX PC for public access and am interested in hearing
>>from others who have done this.  Are there any UNIX PC BBSs out there?
>>What types of BBS software are available?  I'm only interested in providing
>>news, mail, and possibly local discussions, to the outside world.  Users will
>>not get to shells or Offices.
>>
>>RRRR    U   U    SSS    HHHHH     INET: bob at rush.cts.com
>
>Bob,
>
>I just started running a BBS with a 7300, 40M HD.  Two public domain BBS
>packages are SBBS and UNaXcess.  Both have been posted to comp.sources.unix
>and can be obtained via anonymous ftp at uunet.uu.net.  Make sure you get
>the SECOND UNaXcess (V 1.00.02).  If you have trouble I can send them.
>
>kapolka at vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
>...{allegra, cadre}!pitt!kapolka		M. Anthony Kapolka III
>anthony at pittvms.Bitnet

Andy Pitts (andy at rbdc) has made a number of fixes/changes/enhancements to
UNaXcess and is working on a re-write to be distributed under another
name.  Meanwhile, his newest version is 2.44A and it allows for mail,
local newsgroups, and USENET newsgroup access.  Three boards in this
area are joined in a UNaXcess network (for the discussion of the humanities):
  Humanities Forum (Gray, TN) - gary at ethos (Gary Smith)
  Humanities Forum - RTP (Durham, NC) - darren at bacchus (Darren Friedlein)
  Humanities Forum III (Winston-Salem, NC) - david at gladys (David Dalton)
    (HF-III was formerly SFWN)
Since my site (bacchus) is in a PCPursuit city, we transfer messages
through news with my site as the hub.  All of us have 3b1s in some
configuration or another and all of us use UNaXcess.  If you (Bob) or
anyone else is interested in joining this "network", please send me mail.
To sample the BBS, call 919-596-7746 (PCPursuitable).  Using the BBS in
a networking manner DOES require that the news software be installed on
your machine, but it need not be active for anything but the BBS.
UNaXcess can be used stand-alone as well.

Hope I've helped you some with your decision.

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
 \____/    __/      {mcnc|icus|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren