UNIX PC Graphics Questions

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Sun May 15 13:53:07 AEST 1988

In article <2271 at inco.UUCP> todd at inco.UUCP (Todd O'Connell) writes:
>2) Is there any way to directly access screen memory?  I would like to
>   bring up a segmented graphics package on my 7300 but find it a little
>   abhorrent to do pixrect ops to display a single pixel in a vector draw
>   routine.  I would use the graphics driver except that I also want to
>   do some raster work and I don't want to waste 16 bits/pixel for a b/w
>   display.

The UNIXpc screen memory is located at $420000, and the only way to access
that area of memory would be through a loadable driver. This kind of access
would screw up the window manager's view of things.

John

--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!uncle!jbm
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; talk to me about fractals