Bad disk copying

Dave Klann davek at heurikon.UUCP
Fri May 6 23:32:09 AEST 1988

In article <211 at toylnd.UUCP> dca at toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>Help!  This is driving me crazy.  I'm trying to back up disk 8 of 8 in
>my Unix utilities development set.  Unfortunately it has a bad sector.
>      [ Desparate discussion of foiled reads... ]
>If anyone can give me the proper incantations for communicating with the
>spirits of dead floppy disks so as to make copies of them I would be
>most obliged.
>
>David Albrecht

David,

There exists a pogram that MAY be ablle to help you.  A while back afio
was posted to comp.sources.unix.  This is a PD version of cpio (I
believe the acronym is Alternate File I/O) that is much more persistent
than cpio.  It may or may not help, but it's worth a try.

If yo don't have access to a souce archive Id be happy to dig out my
copy of the source and mail it to you.

David Klann
{ihnp4 | uwvax}!heurikon!davek