UUCP on Unix PC V 3.51

Michael Ditto ford at crash.cts.com
Fri May 27 16:20:28 AEST 1988

In article <8601 at eecae.UUCP> gendrich at eecae.UUCP (Chuck Gendrich) writes:
>In article <140 at ssdis.UUCP> gsarff at ssdis.UUCP (gary sarff) writes:
>> ... About 150K into the
>> file uucico (running in the background from my shell) says:
>> r short 2 want 3
>> rcount=0
>> xcount=0

>> which is odd because I am starting uucico as
>> /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -s<system> &  (to fork into the background)
>> doesn't this make me master (role=1) and I am receiving a file not sending
>> it.
>
>The -r flag sets the number of times to retry, not which mode to enter
>during the transfer.

Not true.  the -r option sets which role to enter, 0=slave, NZ=master.
The default is slave, so the called system (on which uucico gets invoked
without arguments) is the slave.

>  Your system logs into the other one, therefore the
>other one goes into MASTER mode.  After both sides agree on which UUCP
>protocol to use, the MASTER sends any files which he may have lying
>around.  Then it asks "What do you want?".  Your <local> system, the
>SLAVE, says "Please send me this file.", and the transfer is on.

Not quite.  The calling system is in master mode at the beginning.  After
it has carried out all of its requests, it gives mastership to the other
system to carry out requests from that end.  Note that mastership is not
dependant on which end is sending or receiving, it just determines which
system originates the transfers.  The master system looks through its
spool directory for things to do, and does them.

--

Mike Ditto					-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford%kenobi at crash.CTS.COM