NWINDOWS in /etc/master, can I increase it?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Tue May 31 10:53:11 AEST 1988

I was peeking around in my /etc/master file the other day, and I noticed
these parameters...

*
* Window parameters follow
* nwindows	number of windows
* nol		number of obscurred pieces per system (oldefs)
* pxmapsize	number of pixel map slots (see lwind/wd.c now)
* pxmemsize	number of bytes of pixel memory (in virtual space)
* ndl		number of display list items (used in wrastop())
*
nwindows NWINDOWS 12
nol NOL	(NWINDOWS*40)
pxmemsize PXMEMSIZE (256*1024)
ndl NDL 400

Is it possible to increase NWINDOWS to something greater than 12, say
15 or 20.  I changed this, removed /etc/lddrv/wind and rebooted my machine
in hopes that the number of windows would be dynamically increased
when the driver was rebound.   I also did this:

for wind in 13 14 15
do
	/etc/mknod /dev/w${wind} 7 ${wind}
done

When I rebooted and created 12 windows with "windy -b ksh", on the 13th
one it said:

open(): No such device or address

I pressed "SUSPD" and it said
"Out of windows... please close some windows; please wait..."

Why doesn't the window driver look at /etc/master?  What good is /etc/master
if it doesn't?

-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S