AT&T 3B2 SCSI Announcement

Verbiscer rjv at iwtpm.ATT.COM
Sat May 14 02:01:56 AEST 1988

       On May 9, 1988, AT&T announced the third	release	of SCSI
       peripherals for the AT&T	3B2 computer family.  Included in
       the announcement	were:

	       Differential Host Adapter - Provides a differential
			  SCSI interface for 3B2/500, 3B2/600, and
			  3B2/700 Computers.

	       DM/300S	- A package containing 1 300 MB	(formatted)
			  disk with a built-in single-ended SCSI
			  interface.
	       DM/300DS	- A package containing 1 300 MB	(formatted)
			  disk with a built-in differential SCSI
			  interface.

	       9-Track	- A package containing a 1600/6250 bpi,	125 ips
			  9-track tape drive with a single-ended SCSI
			  interface.
	       9-Track	- A package containing a 1600/6250 bpi,	125 ips
			  9-track tape drive with a differential SCSI
			  interface.

			  The 9-track tape drive provides auto-loading
			  of tapes and is packaged in a	table-top
			  package measuring approximately 9"H x	19"W
			  x 24"D, with a weight	of 85 lbs.

       In addition to the new hardware supported, software support
       for mirroring of	disks drives was also announced.  The
       mirroring software allows mirroring, on a partition basis,
       of any two partitions on	any two	SCSI disks.  The software
       works on	any 3B2	computer with the UNIX(R) Operating System
       V, Release 3.2.

       Also announced was support to allow multiple computers to
       share a common differential SCSI	bus and	share access to	the
       peripherals on them.

       As with past announcements to this news group, in addition
       to announcing new products for the AT&T 3B2 family, we are
       interested in any experiences, good or bad, you may have
       with the	AT&T 3B2 SCSI equipment.  (Any comments	on problems
       should include as much detail on	system configuration as
       possible, including the UNIX(R) Operating System	version.)

       We are interested in hearing of the applications	you run	in
       which you need the capabilities of SCSI,	how well SCSI meets
       your needs, and if the performance and functionality were as
       expected.  Also,	what new features/peripherals would you
       like to see provided in future releases and how would they
       help you?

       We are also interested in comments on how knowledgeable the
       sales staff was,	how long it took to get	the equipment once
       it was ordered, and how easy it was to install.

       We cannot usurp the role	of the support organizations to
       directly	solve any problems.  We	may be able to respond to
       general questions on what was done, and perhaps why it was
       done, in	our implementation.

       However,	we can promise that all	comments will be carefully
       considered as input to future releases of the SCSI products,
       and this	will hopefully make upgrades to	your system
       function	better for you.

       Please email any	comments directly to:
		       ihnp4!iwtio!rjv

       Thanks,