Monitor and EGA board for AT&T 6386 WGS

C M Votava cmv at ihlpm.ATT.COM
Tue May 24 05:08:25 AEST 1988

In article <1888 at mtuxo.UUCP> andyc at mtuxo.UUCP (XMRH3-A.CASTINEIRAS) writes:

>I have an AT&T 6386 WGS processor, but I neglected to order a
>monitor and video board for it.
>
>Does anyone out there know if third party boards and monitors
>can be used with the 6386 WGS?  If so, which ones and how much do
>they cost?  Which is the best EGA board I can get (and monitor);
>which are decent?

Well, since Andy asked, I thought I'd post this for everyone's benifit.
We were looking for monitors a while ago, and found PC Week Magazine to be
a big help. They had a review in one of their recent issues (March maybe) of
hi-res monocrome monitors, and from that review, we were able to make a well
informed choice that we're pretty happy with now.

We bought 2 AT&T 6312's and 2 AT&T 6386's and decided to use the Wyse WY-700's
for the 6312's and the NEC Monograph monitors for the 6386's. The Wyse monitors
we've seen before, and are a great hi-res, low cost monitor. The technology
uses slow-scan phosphor, which can drive you nuts, but for the price, you can't
beat the resolution. The NEC Monograph monitors are pretty new. It's a 16 inch
SQUARE screen (possibly the same tube used in the 630's ?) with a 1024 by 1024
resolution. The graphics card has an intel 82786 video processor, and it's
FAST! The specs advertise screen flood of 20 million pixels/sec and BITBLT of
10 million pixels/sec. It also has 70 Hz non-interlaced screen (fast phosphor,
and no flicker!). It runs CGA emulation mode, and there are drivers available
for Microsoft windows and Xerox Ventura Publisher. NEC has a bulletin board
that owners can download the latest and greatest stuff from. The price on
these range from 12-1500.00 depending on where you get them, and have a 1-week
lag time if ordered directly from NEC.

I'm really impressed by the monograph monitors, and would recommend them
to anyone. Feel free to contact me if you want more info/opinions.

Craig Votava

[ihnp4!]looney!cmv